Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Calm Before The Storm

A sense of calm has returned to our home.  For this, I am very thankful that Haven submitted her application to GW as an Early Decision candidate.  She’s now a fully committed GW Colonial - she sent in the Declaration of Intent the day after she received her admission packet! And today she starts her last semester of high school – wow, I can’t believe it.

Today is also GW’s Early Decision 2 and Regular Decision application deadline. Life as a regional admissions officer has its advantages like working from home, no office drama (except my own), and the ability of setting my own schedule.  The downside is that I miss out on fun stuff like the impromptu after work office get-togethers, getting to know our student staff, or the bake-offs (I am sure my Key Lime Pie would win hands-down). But what I really wish I could be there to see is the daily buckets of mail arriving full of application materials, transcripts and letters of recommendations. Sorta like looking at a pile of gifts waiting to be opened.  I know I’ve spoken about Reading Season before but there is nothing quite like January in college admissions. 

You know I like analogies – I just made one in the previous paragraph. Here is another one: reading season is like a bar of soap with the toy trapped inside it. I’m reading hours upon hours to get at that toy!  It requires focus, patience, dedication and endurance!  Reading Season is 7x7 – seven days a week for seven whole weeks. 

Here is a list (in no particular order) of “must haves” for a successful reading season (not including ones previously mentioned) .

  1. A good office chair!  After years of neck and back pain (that I never went to a DR about) I finally bought myself a good ergonomic chair!  Ahhh….
  2. Comfortable clothing, really comfortable clothing, not unlike pajamas.  And slippers.  Not everyday – I do face the public from time to time.
  3. A good companion who doesn’t talk much but encourages me to stay on task. My dog Ivy happily plays that role! How? She does this funny little bark-yip combo thing encouraging me to return to the office (and where her dog bed is) when my lunch or dinner break has lingered longer than she likes.
  4. You already know this one. Good music to help me concentrate. Suggestions still encouraged.
  5. Set goals. I’m given weekly goals by my office but I set hourly goals with rewards.  Reading twenty files = hot chocolate.  Read another twenty files = checking email. Read my weekly quota = Saturday night off.
  6. Control my stress level so people around me don’t suffer.  This means I have to let stuff go (like keeping a clean house) to avoid total meltdown.  No guarantees here.
  7. Exercise – everyday.  Awesome way to reduce my stress. If I can’t make it to the gym then I turn on Just Dance 3. I’m dance challenged but one of my other goals is to no longer be.
  8. Snacks, more specifically sweets, even more specifically chocolate chip cookies. I like the convenience of those break and bake versions.  I hear the oven beeping right now!
  9. Speaking of food – get other people to make dinner!  Tonight Haven (yes, my kid can cook) made homemade tortellini filled with ricotta, sage & toasted pine nuts – YUM! 
  10. I’m a morning person. Once the sun sets so does my productivity. So getting to bed at a decent hour really comes in handy to avoid #6.
  11. Let the DVR do what it is intended to do. As in resist watching Parenthood, Modern Family, and Up All Night (I like family themes, so sue me) until I’ve earned it (see #5). I may give in when Walking Dead returns in February.
January 10th is coming to a close in less than 4 hours. On behalf of all of us in the admissions office at GW, I wish you the best of luck. Reading Season, while exhausting, is exhilarating.  We love getting to know what influences you to choose GW and what you hope to achieve by becoming a Colonial. You touch us in ways you would never imagine.

I expect there might be a few applicants out there furiously crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s on their applications. I’m sorry you may be in panic mode right now but I hope you can heed my advice: don’t wait until 11:59PM to hit that submit button!

No comments:

Post a Comment