Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Flashback and Fast Forward

In 1977, I was a college freshman attending art school - I was going to be the next great American artist! I remember how excited I was to apply to college so I could strike it out on my own and get out of New Jersey.  I have nothing against New Jersey, I will always be a Jersey Girl, but by the time I reached the age of 18 I was more than ready to spread my wings and leave my parent's nest.  

The picture to the right is of me on a rooftop in Boston where I had gathered with my friends to paint city scapes.  Looking back at that picture brings back so many wonderful memories!  I loved living in the city, living on my own (even if it was in an all-girls dorm), and taking classes that challenged me.  I was a carefree art student with dreams to change the world one brushstroke at a time. 

Fast forward thirty-four years and I am a mother of a daughter who will be applying to college for Fall 2012.  One might think because I am a college admissions professional I have it easy and my kid will magically know everything about applying to college.  Uh, no!  You've heard the saying the "cobbler’s children have no shoes"?  Well, we aren't that bad off but it's pretty darn close.

This year I will chronicle my travels as I meet with students who want to apply for admission to GW.  I will be sharing with my readers the life of the college admissions officer as well as my experience as a parent of a high school senior. I hope my stories inspire you, educate you, humor you, enlighten you, advise you and demystify for you the college admissions search process. And somewhere along this journey I hope I manage to take my own advice as I guide my child to discover a college that fits her like a glove!

Although I knew right away that choosing an art college was the perfect fit for me; it isn’t always that clear to teenagers where they want to spend the next four years of their lives.  It is scary and exciting and for many the first big decision of their young lives.  My job as a parent is to allow my daughter the freedom to explore her options but to not let the process overwhelm her. And I fully expect her to change her mind (probably more than once) about her career goals, application choices, or what she wants the college experience to be like. I will celebrate each step along the way and be a sympathetic ear, an informed expert, and a caring friend - because before I know it she will leave our nest just like I did so many years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment