Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Pity Party


School starts early in the South and this week marks the third week of my daughter’s senior year.  On Monday, I attended the Senior Parent Night at my daughter’s large public high school in our suburban town.  I don’t know why I went to the meeting; I know 99.9% of the information that was presented that evening. I admit I wanted to be a “spy” to make sure the information that was shared about colleges like GW (aka private) was accurate (it was). 

I guess what I really wanted was to be a “regular” parent of a high school senior; someone without a true sense of what applying to college is like these days.  I didn’t want to be a know-it-all, for just a moment, but to be educated on what lies ahead.  

What I was really thinking while I sat in that auditorium was “well, how did I get here?” It was so sudden.  Here I was living in suburbia in my soon-to-be empty nest when it seems like yesterday that she started kindergarten. I am not making this up, time really does fly.

I can’t help thinking about that Talking Heads song “Once in a Lifetime”…

“And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself - well...how did I get here?”

These days I spend a lot of time thinking about when she was a little girl and how we were each other’s world.  In hindsight, parenting was a breeze back then – the terrible two’s and all.  One minute I’m excited about her future and then the next I wonder what life will be like when she does go off to college.  I Iaugh, I cry, I yell, I (attempt to) guide – nobody at home gets me. I don’t get me either.*   

"And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?"

What wasn’t covered in the meeting was how hard it is to be a parent of a high school senior! I had no idea that I would feel this way – why didn’t they warn me. It’s a confusing time for us parents.  And being a mom of an only child – I believe it’s harder for me.  For every transition we have together as mother and daughter is a “Once in a Lifetime” experience!

And you may ask yourself
Am I right?...Am I wrong?
And you may tell yourself
MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

*My editor says this is too personal, but I don’t care xo 

My kid's kindergarten class - she's in there somewhere!
And thanks David Bryne for writing such great lyrics!

2 comments:

  1. The dining area is on the main floor and there is a staircase to an open bar upstairs with several high tops scattered about for the event.
    best event planner nyc

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice post about such a brilliant party! I am making plans to make my daughter’s birthday an enthralling one. Going to book one of best party venues in Los Angeles for party. Last year we couldn’t book any venue and had to organize the party in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete